28 June 2015

Fitness for Starters

Personally, I don't see fitness as a journey. It's a lifestyle: a way of life.
But as a beginner immersing into this new "way of life," there are uncharted waters that can be a bit daunting. First time at the gym --  what if people stare and think I'm not using the machines right? Not having a gym membership -- does that mean I can't be as fit as my fitspirations? Or there's the simple being-too-lazy-to-even-workout dilemma.



Here are some fitness hacks I have which can help you get started:




GYM HACKS:

• I make it a point to find a gym en route to/from uni or work, so I won't have an excuse not to go
• On the way to the gym, which is in the 4th floor, I always use the stairs as a warmup/cooldown
• If you're really lazy to do intense workout, bring a book or a tablet with a movie/show: instead of idly sitting at home (probably munching on snacks), you can multitask and read/watch while walking on the treadmill so you will at least burn some calories. Keep your speed low to avoid any accidents
• Find a workout you really like and stick to it at first. This will give you a positive association with working out and keep you coming back for more. (*Adjust eventually to something more challenging or more fitting to achieve your fitness goals)
• For girls: If you're still shy about working out in front of guys, some gyms have a female-only area
• If you feel like traditional gyms (the likes of Gold's Gym or Fitness First) aren't for you, try a martial art, they still use a "gym," just a different sort and a different sport



GYM-FREE HACKS

• Workout DVDs/Ebooks: personal faves include Kayla Itsines' BBG and Shaun T's Insanity (Insane Abs) 
• Get a yoga mat: this is perfect for home workouts, especially for core
• Always take the stairs, and use your glutes when going upstairs (or even skip a step to increase level of effort for your glutes)
• Go running/walking with a friend. Even if you spend most of the time laughing and talking, you're still staying active!
• Do chores such as washing the car, cleaning the house, or even just walking the dog
Babysit. I once volunteered as a child caretaker for little kids and toddlers and let me tell you, running around and carrying those cute little rascals for a whole morning was probably equal to a gym session of HIIT and weights
• Some household items make great cost-cutting equipment: 1L (or any amount, subject to workout) filled water bottles can count for weights, paper plates are perfect for pikes and crunches (hold them against the floor with the tips/ball of your feet while on a high plank position), chairs are great for tricep dips and elevated one-legged squats, and I'm sure there are a thousand other items that can be multi-purposed into workout equipment



With that said, there are no more excuses left! These hacks can help you get on track with this new lifestyle and eventually, you would even find your own.




Remember, it may be tiring for now but the endorphin rush will eventually take the load off! Have fun!